Risk-free Alternative to Laser Eye Surgery
Ortho-K overnight lenses correct vision without the need for contact lenses during the day. This is made possible by a specially designed Ortho-K contact lens that reverses the power of the cornea at the front of the eye during overnight wear.
Once the full effect of the Ortho-K process has taken place the eye is effectively ‘normal’ and can see clearly during the day. Once one stops wearing Ortho-K lenses the eye goes back to normal, making them a truly great and risk free alternative to laser eye surgery.
Our practitioner Charles Babumba made an Ortho-K overnight lenses related TV appearance on ITV’s This Morning in October 2005. You can watch the video on Youtube by clicking here.
The changes to the cornea experienced by wearing Ortho-K lenses are reversible. Although laser eye surgery is quite a safe procedure, there is always a possibility of having one or more following problems after having surgery, which may remain permanent:
- Dry eyes
- Ghosting effect
- Regression, especially for higher prescriptions
- Night vision problems
- Over/under correction
On the other hand, changes to the cornea using Ortho-K lenses are reversible, so when you stop using them your prescription goes back to the original one within a few days or weeks.
Who can benefit from Ortho-K?
Ortho-K is ideal for low to mid-short sighted people who:
- Find soft contact lenses do not provide the comfort required for their life-style
- Take part in leisure activities in which contact lens wear isn’t ideal
- Have considered refractive surgery but are concerned about the risks
The benefits of Ortho-K are:
- Freedom from contact lenses and glasses during the day
- Only overnight lens wear required
- Comfortable semi-permeable alternative for the correction of short shortsightedness
- Safe and reversible vision correction therapy without surgery
Requirements for Ortho-K:
- A spherical prescription of -0.50D up to -11.00D and +0.50D to +6.00D
- Astigmatism of up to -0.50D to -4.50D
How much does Ortho-K cost?
Ortho K is similar in price to wearing a pair of quality daily disposable lenses every day. The lenses require replacement every 6 to 12 months to ensure they provide optimum correction.
Will they work for me?
If suitable, an eye-mapping instrument will be used and lenses ordered from the data collected and progress will be monitored regularly until only 3-6 monthly assessments are required.
Find out more about how Ortho-K lenses could help you.
Read more of our patients’ Ortho-K testimonials.